After living with our orange front door for over a year, I felt it was time for a change! Our exterior is a dark blue with crisp white trim. I had always imagined our home with a deep red door. After going through countless samples in every brand I fell for “posh red” by Valspar at Lowe’s .
Here’s step by step how I went from orange to red!
1. First, I thoroughly cleaned the door with T.S.P. Cleaner and let it dry overnight.
2. Next, I lightly sanded the door with medium grit sandpaper . After sanding I wiped off any dust and debris.
3. Next, I used painter’s tape around the handle, lock, window, and sides of the door.
4. Next up? The fun part! I applied the first coat of paint. I used a wide angled brush to easily get into the details on the door.
5. Coat number 2 was next! I let the first coat dry for 4 hrs before starting the second.
6. Coat number 3 was the same as one and two. Wait 4 hrs between coats.
7. For coat number 4 I switched to a small foam roller. I used the roller on the flat surfaces of the door to give better coverage without any brush lines. After the roller I used the angled brush to get into any tight areas with detail.
8. Lastly, I removed the painter’s tape 24 hrs after the forth coat and completed any additional fine tuning and touch ups.
Voila! You’re done!
Reds are a tough colour to paint with! They require quite a few coats as they are notorious for not covering well. I definitely encourage you to go into a similar project with some patience! I also recommend picking a day or two that is consistent weather to leave your front door open between coats.
What do you think? Are you loving the red?!
Until next time on the blog,
Sarah at my west coast life
2 thoughts on “Front door Refresh”
It looks fantastic, I love the new colour!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thankyou so much Nicole! I love it too! Such a classic combo of navy and red!